db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:49:45 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I would like to understand what code archaeology looks like after the
> Homogenizing Event. I think that this will split codeline time into two
> segments: Before Homogenization and After Homogenization. The
> Homogenizer will appear as the author of a lot of our code. In tracing
> the history of a file, you will have to cross-reference two subversion
> clients, one rolled back Before Homogenization and one set at the
> current level After Homogenization. Can this be simplified? Are there
> tools that zipper the two views together?

Since we operate with a comitter role, svn praise/annotate/blame is
already quite useless when it comes to the author name. You must consult
the log to figure out who has really written the code anyway.

Personally, I don't have any problems dealing with a split in the
revision history, as long as this split is well defined (i.e. all white
space changes done in a specific revision [range]). But I'm not a
committer, I suppose you guys are more affected by this.

As time goes by, the problem will be less and less prudent.
We managed the repos change and the huge "touch-a-lot-of-files" eol
patch committed earlier, didn't we?

Fianlly, things won't be easier if we postpone this clean-up operation...
I think doing this just before we branch 10.2 has been mentioned as a
suitable time, and also applying the changes to the 10.1 branch as well.

--
Kristian