db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Halley Pacheco de Oliveira <halle...@yahoo.com.br>
Subject DERBY-1376 - Text for exceptions - File java/engine/org/apache/derby/loc/messages_en.properties
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:39:58 GMT
Hi,

I'm translating the file java/engine/org/apache/derby/loc/messages_en.properties and sometimes,
when I can't understand the meaning of a message, I search for the message in the source code
discover it's meaning.

The issue DERBY-1376 was open because I couldn't see any problem with the fact that "Log directory
exists". The existence of a directory is not a problem by itself. When reading the source
code in
LogToFile.java file I saw the comment "// make sure log directory is empty", and the message
being
showed only if the log directory is not empty, not if it exists.

I know it is a minor problem, almost insignificant, but I'm also having problems with others
messages when translating them.

For example, message "XIE06.S=Entity name was null." wasn't clear for me too, and when I looked
at
the source code I saw the comment "Raised if, the entity (ie table/view) for import/export
is
missing in the database.". So, again, the comment in the source code is easier to understand
than
the message being showed to the user. There are others like this one as, for example, for
the
message "XIE05.S=Data file cannot be null." the comment in the source code is "Raised if,
null is
passed for data file url."

For me the biggest problem to overcome has being the translation of the message "XBM08.D=Could
not
instantiage {0} StorageFactory class {1}." I just can't understand the meaning of this telegraphic
 message even reading the source code, shown below, and would appreciate if someone could
explain
it to me.

private PersistentService getPersistentService( final String className, String subSubProtocol)
throws StandardException
{
if( className == null)
return null;
Class storageFactoryClass = null;
try
{
storageFactoryClass = Class.forName( className);
}
catch (Throwable e)
{
throw StandardException.newException( SQLState.INSTANTIATE_STORAGE_FACTORY_ERROR,
e,
subSubProtocol, className);
}
return new StorageFactoryService( subSubProtocol, storageFactoryClass);
} // end of getPersistentService

The reason for me to write this email is to ask if someone at ASF revised these messages,
and if
someone agrees that it would be good to revise these messages, since they are all that end
users
have.

Thanks,
Halley

Fale com seus amigos  de gra├ža com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/