db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjay Chawla <cha...@it.usyd.edu.au>
Subject Teaching Database Internals with Derby
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 00:12:09 GMT
Hi,
       I am planning to teach a third year undergraduate course on "Database Internals" with
Derby. This is our second course in databases - the first covering ER, Relational Algebra,
SQL, little bit of indexing, transactions etc. The three umbrella topics that I plan to cover
are (1) Transactions (2) Indexing and (3) Query Optimization. After covering the theory from
text I want to give students practical exercises in Derby. For project assignments students
will form groups of three-to-four and work on a non-trivial assignment to evaluate/extend/add
some functionality to Derby in the three topics mentioned above.

I am a "newbie to Derby" and any suggestions about practial doable assignments and projects
will be most welcome.

Regards,
Sanjay

Sanjay Chawla
Associate Professor (and Associate Head)
School of Information Technologies
Sydney University, NSW, Australia
Tel: 61 2 9351 3516
http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~chawla