db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Hayden Melton <hmel...@ec.auckland.ac.nz>
Subject Structure of Derby (OO Design)
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2006 07:30:34 GMT
Hi all,

I am a PhD student at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. As part of my
research I have performed an empirical study on a large corpus of open-source
Java software. Several of the applications in the corpus (Derby, Ant, Tomcat,
JMeter, POI) are from the Apache Software Foundation. If you are a developer of
Derby you might be interested to know that there are 422 source files all
involved in a big dependency cycle (or to use the graph theory term: strongly
connected component). Though it is just one dimension of design quality, it is
thought long dependency cycles among source files inhibit understanding,
testing and reuse.

In any case, a comparison of Derby to all the other applications in the corpus
is available on my webpage, along with a more detailed description of the study
and why cycles are bad:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~hayden/corpus.htm

/
Hayden Melton