db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: NSinSameVM can't find DRDAProtocolExceptionInfo class (solarisx86, JDK 1.4)
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 01:55:57 GMT

Hi,

I looked at this again: This is my understanding so far.

I think this is a problem with the test and/or the server code.
Apperently there is a race condition between the connection being
closed and the shutdown of the server.  This test starts its own
server and then opens and closes a connection to it, in this case via
the derby client driver.  Skeleton code:

  server.start
  conn = DriverManager.getConnection(<derby client>)
  conn.close
         <inserting a small sleep here makes problem go away>
  server.shutdown

By inserting a small sleep between the close and the shutdown, the
test works in my environment. I would guess the problem appears
because the server gets to (start) shut down *before* the close
message process is started/completed, and when the server DRDA
protocol code is in the process of handling the close, the server is
going down, hence the class not found exceptions.

I'll file a JIRA for the test.

The larger question is: Is there any way to avoid this in the server?
Users can hit this one, too, and it would be nice if the server were
more rubust. I think is possibly related to the problem discussed
under JIRA-1219 and DERBY-1326, although in those cases, the problems
occur further down the line: ghost sessions remain after shutdown
causing trouble on restart.

Dag

--
Dag H. Wanvik
Sun Microsystems, Database Technology Group (DBTG)