db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 01:28:52 GMT
Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Korneliussen@Sun.COM> writes:

> 3) A file should be consistent in its use of spaces vs. tabs. If a
> file uses spaces for indentation, no tabs are allowed into that file.
>
> The problem with rule 3, is of course that developers need to set up
> their tools based on which file they are modifying. It is easier if
> all files have the same indentation-style. Therefore I support getting
> a well-defined code-format in Derby.

+1

I support that should agree on a standard for whitespace, I am tired
of the current situation.

My vote would be for spaces rather than tabs (most editors, and IDEs
can be persuaded to do that), for the reasons quoted by Bernt and
Andreas and others. It is also easy to enforce/check for committers.

I would also vote for keeping 4 as the normal indentation amount,
although I consider that less important than the tabs vs whitespace
decision.

As for the concerns of inconvenient historic blame/praise information
(before homogenization and after), I think this is the price we will
have to pay sooner or later. I also think Kathey's suggestion of a big
bang makes sense (lesser evil compared to piece-meal conversions).

A coding standard for code layout will get my support as well.  I am
happy to work with any style as long as it is consistent, but it is
just that much easier to be consistent when changing someone else's
code if we have one common standard, in stead of one per developer.

Dag