db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 19:55:37 GMT
On 5/31/06, Rodrigo Madera <rodrigo.madera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do you all hate tabs sooo much??
>
> On 5/31/06, Bernt M. Johnsen <Bernt.Johnsen@sun.com> wrote:
> > I heartily agree. We definitely need an enforced standard on
> > this.
[snip]
> > And, we should definitely get rid of the tabs.

I personally can happily accept whatever standard is decided on, and
I'll admit I like making tabs. :-)

But, when looking at code, you cannot tell whether you see tabs or
spaces unless you actually scroll over the blank bits with a cursor
key...

Also, in most editors tabs are configurable to 'mean' (be represented)
varying number of spaces, and thus, open to interpretation. It gets
even worse when you think of using IDEs - these automatically create
the idents for you based. Some tools will convert tabs into spaces
when you perform cut-and-paste...

All in all, when working with a group of people, it's easy to end up
with a mishmash of tabs and spaces and especially with having a mix of
tabs and spaces on the same line is very confusing.

Settling on the non-configurable 'space' seems cleanest.

Myrna