db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: upcoming 10.2 snapshot
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 21:19:50 GMT
On 5/23/06, Bernt M. Johnsen <Bernt.Johnsen@sun.com> wrote:
> Simple (?) question. Why do we not sign snapshots that are made
> available on Derby's download page? The need for people to be sure
> that they download SW that is put there by a trusted person should be
> the same as for ordinary releases.

Because the snapshots are not served from the mirror, but from a
trusted host at Apache, and could only be put there by a committer.
Normally, serving downloads from an Apache host is frowned upon to
save bandwidth and machine resources, but in this case should not be a
problem, as we would expect the snapshots to see far, far less traffic
than an official release.

And in fact, the snapshots don't register on the top hits for
*.apache.org, whereas people disregarding the mirrors and downloading
the official release from http://www.apache.org/dist/ does show up on
the list:

http://people.apache.org/~henkp/analog/www/2006/04/

andrew