db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Build warning
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 18:13:20 GMT
On 5/4/06, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:
> >> The only way I have found to get rid of these warnings, is to invoke
> >> super.getTypeMap() and copy the returned map into a map of the correct
> >> generic type. I will attach a patch to DERBY-1234 sometime soon.
> >
> > Can someone confirm for me that this warning should be printed to the
> > console by the compiler despite passing the -nowarn flag? Seems to me
> > like that's what -nowarn is for...
>
> Gurk. There's some kind of distinction between "mandated warnings" and
> "non-mandated warnings" starting with JDK 1.5.
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/javac.html says that
> -nowarn is identical to -Xlint:none, and further says that -Xlint:none
> disables all the non-mandated warnings.
>
> But I think that unchecked warnings are "mandated", which is why they
> behave differently.

LOL. Thanks for the pointer to the javac page, I hadn't seen the
distinction yet, since it hadn't come up before. They should rename
the option "-notreallynowarn". I guess we'll just have to live with
it, or break out the compilation of this file (NetConnection40) to a
separate target and pass the -Xlint:unchecked option if it really
bothers people.

andrew