db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 21:57:32 GMT
Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:

> Therefore, any
>enforced standard would be welcomed by me.

This is the key point.   I had thought there was consensus or at least
complacency about spaces in the tab/space debate but I was wrong.  So I
will remove this statement from my proposal:
"I think everyone can agree to get rid of the tabs."    Then I think
that we need to yield to whatever volunteer feels strongly enough about
this to do the work.

Kathey

1) Choose and document  a format.
    The volunteer doing the work gets to propose the format and only
very serious objections should be raised  in the interest of getting
this done.  Some Apache examples are at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/faqs.html#Coding%20Conventions%20and%20Standards

Note: Jeremy reformatted the client code shortly after contribution.
One possible standard might be to match what has already been done for
client.  The problem is, that was never documented so needs to be
documented, but matching that could minimize code disruption and give us
a standard.

2) Set a date six weeks out from the completion of the code formatting
documentation  for the reformat so folks can plan accordingly.
3) See if there are volunteers willing to determine the correct settings
for Eclipse, Net Beans, emacs, and other IDE's.
4) On the reformatting date, reformat both the trunk and the 10.1 branch
so that fixes can be merged easily.

Extra credit, think about  long term maintenance, checking,  and
auto-formatting.