db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 20:25:09 GMT
Before injecting a massive singularity into our code archaeology, I
would like to better understand the passionate objection to tabs. Let me
explain my perspective: I use a crude, old-fashioned editor called
emacs. My tabs are configured at 4 space intervals. With this setting, I
almost never have a problem reading the existing code. So who is having
problems and why? Do other people's IDEs silently bulk reformat the
code? Can that behavior be disabled? Could we be satisfied with the
following simple rules, which used to satisfy us nine years ago:

1) Ladies and gentlemen, set your tabs to four spaces.
2) Don't bulk reformat other people's code.

I hope we are not headed into a religious war.

Regards,
-Rick