db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Engine booting, was: Autoloading of JDBC drivers considered harmful?
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 14:41:36 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Rick Hillegas wrote:
[SNIP]

>>> What are the risks of 1?
>>

>> I don't know. I'm just being cautious about a code path which is
>> executed every time you boot the engine.
>
> If it proves to not be a significant risk. #1 would get my vote as it
> could resolve the issues without any special action needed on the part
> of users. #2 does not resolve Olav's concern I think.

I am not so sure #1 does not have consequences for users. If we decide
to go with this option, the behavior of applications using the embedded
server configuration with properties
(derby.drda.startNetworkServer=true) would change noticeably. Currently
the (embedded) network server starts once the embedded driver is loaded
- I'm guessing this will no longer be the case if we separate engine
boot from driver loading.

It might be OK to do it though, as long as it is documented properly.

--
John