db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 14:12:19 GMT
In a comment in DERBY-1302 Knut Anders said ....
 >If we want to reindent large parts of the code, I think we should do
 >it sometime after 10.1.3 is released and before the 10.2 branch is
 >created, and we should try to use a style that is used elsewhere in
 >the code (I prefer tab-free code myself).

Perhaps we have all lived in the code formatting "Tower of Babel" long
enough.  I think code formatting like language doesn't matter as long as
everyone understands it and it is consistent.  I would like to propose
that we:

1) Choose and document  a format.
    I think everyone can agree to get rid of the tabs.  Otherwise ...
     The volunteer doing the work gets to propose the format and only
very serious objections should be raised
           in the interest of getting this done.  Some Apache examples
are at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/faqs.html#Coding%20Conventions%20and%20Standards
2) Set a date six weeks out from the completion of the code formatting
documentation  for the reformat so folks can plan accordingly.
3) See if there are volunteers willing to determine the correct settings
for Eclipse, Net Beans and other IDE's.
4) On the reformatting date, reformat both the trunk and the 10.1 branch
so that fixes can be merged easily.

Extra credit, think about  long term maintenance, checking,  and
auto-formatting.

Does anyone have any  objections to a plan like this? If not I will
create a Jira entry and subtasks. Anyone tired enough of this issue to
take on  this task?

Kathey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel