db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Derby and the DRDA Standard
Date Thu, 25 May 2006 14:52:01 GMT
I would like advice from the community on how Derby can influence the
DRDA Standard, which defines our network protocol.

Last year, I knocked on the door of the Open Group, asking how we could
get a BOOLEAN datatype into the DRDA standard. This set in motion a
process to revive the DBIOP Consortium, the Open Group body which owns
DRDA. This process is now in its ninth month and has reached the
following impasse:

In order to revive, the DBIOP Consortium needs money. To participate in
a revived DBIOP Consortium, you must represent an organization which
pays DBIOP $25K per year. This request for cash comes at a time when my
employer is scaling back its commitment to the Open Group. I don't have
this money.

I would like the community's advice on how cash-strapped Apache Derby
can influence the direction of the expensive DRDA Standard.

View raw message