db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Satheesh Bandaram <banda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: upcoming 10.2 snapshot
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 21:25:36 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Rick Hillegas wrote:<br>
that 10.2 will contain the following major features. If you are
responsible for one of these features, could you post a brief
description of whether it's ready for testing and, if so, what you'd
like to see tested? Here are the features I know about:
&nbsp;- GRANT/REVOKE
&nbsp;- </blockquote>
Just wanted to update status on GRANT/REVOKE status. While table
privileges, routine privileges, schema privileges, soft and hard
upgrade, dblook enhancements, system routine privileges, DBA
authorization, sqlAuthorization property is complete, SQL authorization
model for views, triggers and constraints that follow DEFINER model is
not. Mamta is working on implementing this remaining functionality
under sub-task DERBY-1330. I have added her feature to <a
 href="http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDevActivities">DerbyDevActivities
</a>page.<br>
There are couple of loose ends that I need to tie up on rest of the
functionality. I need to:<br>
<ol>
  <li>Add mechanism to raise a warning if sqlAuthorization is turned on
without authentication. Authorization doesn't mean much without
authentication being on.</li>
  <li>Clean up permission descriptors when object they refer to is
dropped... I will need to add a secondary index to new system tables
and also modify primary key index to include GRANTOR as Dan suggested
recently.</li>
</ol>
Will need to add more functional testing, by converting NIST suite to
sqlAuthorization mode, but that work needs to wait for Mamta's feature
since NIST uses views, constraints quite a bit.<br>
Satheesh<br>