db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact Destroy BUG?
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 13:32:38 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:

> One suggestion was using an open source product which captured the info
> at the jdbc level.  Also others have used triggers to provide the
> necessary information.

One problem with statement-based replication (e.g., at JDBC level) is
that statements are not idempotent.  This makes it difficult to do
recovery on a replicated instance and to catch up with the other
database instances.  After a crash one will normally have to copy the
entire database instead of just doing a replay of what has happened
while the instance was down. (Ref. Sequoia).  This would be easier with
a row-based replication scheme.

With respect to trigger-based implementations, the biggest problem seems
to be performance.  I do not know whether this is inherent with using
triggers, but it seems like the overhead is pretty big in many database

View raw message