db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What should I set JAVA_HOME to
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 14:23:48 GMT
Thanks to Andrew and David for carrying this useful discussion forward.
I have a couple comments::

1) Concerning the ant code below: I would feel better if we factored
this code up into the init target. Hopefully, all targets end up calling
init one way or another.

2) I applied the proposed changes to BUILDING.txt. I still ended up with
a section 3.1 which told me to set my JAVA_HOME to the 1.4 installation.

3) Concerning David's question "What does it buy me?": At the end of the
day, Andrew's work has made it possible to build Derby from a 1.5 or 1.6
shell window. That's the big win from my perspective. I don't have to
switch shell windows as I cycle through build and test. Yes, you still
have to include the jdk16 variable in your ant.properties. But this
doesn't seem any worse than the 1.4 build: you still have to include the
jdk14 variable in your ant.properties even though you are building in a
1.4 shell window.

Once 1.6 goes GA and is no longer experimental, we can require it as the
standard build platform. That's a good time to sand this down further.

Regards,
-Rick