db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Derby metrics
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 16:57:22 GMT
Vemund Ostgaard wrote:

> I think this is a good initiative Kathey, having metrics like these in
> place would be useful when discussing releases and quality.
>
> The size of jar-files might be useful to measure/monitor (when
> compiled with the right flags and options that are used for releases).
> The intent would be to have awareness on the small, light-weight image.

yes. that sounds good.

> In addition to measuring lines of code added or total, I've also heard
> about measuring the number of lines of code that have been changed
> (added/removed/updated), loosely refered to as measuring "code
> turmoil". With a lot of code turmoil you expect less stability, this
> number should go down when you get close to a release.

Does anyone have scripts for measuring this sort of thing?

> Did you plan to do this as a one shot exercise or did you want to do
> it periodically, like daily or weekly? I think weekly numbers would be
> good, would be often enough and might mask uninteresting fluctuations
> that you might see if producing daily numbers.

I plan to gather some snapshot metrics now and post them. Ultimately, It
would be great to have an automatted way to get  weekly or on-demand
numbers.    I thought first we get an idea on the list of what metrics
would be useful, then we make a Wiki page with  what is needed,  and
then folks can post snapshot numbers and perhaps automate.

Hope you will be interested in doing some of this work.

Kathey