db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostga...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby metrics
Date Fri, 05 May 2006 13:32:45 GMT
Kathey Marsden [W.P.A YELLOW PAGES] wrote:

> I was thinking about Derby Metrics.

I think this is a good initiative Kathey, having metrics like these in
place would be useful when discussing releases and quality.

> 1)  Has anyone compiled  any of the following information already?
> 2)  Can you think of additonal metrics that might  be useful to the
> community?

The size of jar-files might be useful to measure/monitor (when compiled
with the right flags and options that are used for releases). The intent
would be to have awareness on the small, light-weight image.

In addition to measuring lines of code added or total, I've also heard
about measuring the number of lines of code that have been changed
(added/removed/updated), loosely refered to as measuring "code turmoil".
With a lot of code turmoil you expect less stability, this number should
go down when you get close to a release.

> Derby lines of code by component.
> Derby code coverage numbers by component.
> Lines of code added for 10.2 by component.
> Derby bugs by component and severity.
> Derby bug inflow by component and overall.

Did you plan to do this as a one shot exercise or did you want to do it
periodically, like daily or weekly? I think weekly numbers would be
good, would be often enough and might mask uninteresting fluctuations
that you might see if producing daily numbers.

Vemund