db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Build warning
Date Thu, 04 May 2006 16:05:42 GMT
>> The only way I have found to get rid of these warnings, is to invoke
>> super.getTypeMap() and copy the returned map into a map of the correct
>> generic type. I will attach a patch to DERBY-1234 sometime soon.
>
> Can someone confirm for me that this warning should be printed to the
> console by the compiler despite passing the -nowarn flag? Seems to me
> like that's what -nowarn is for...

Gurk. There's some kind of distinction between "mandated warnings" and
"non-mandated warnings" starting with JDK 1.5.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/windows/javac.html says that
-nowarn is identical to -Xlint:none, and further says that -Xlint:none
disables all the non-mandated warnings.

But I think that unchecked warnings are "mandated", which is why they
behave differently.

There's some pretty good information at
http://www.angelikalanger.com/GenericsFAQ/FAQSections/TechnicalDetails.html#Compiler%20Messages
but unfortunately she doesn't discuss the -nowarn option there.

Sorry this isn't much help; you may have to read the actual Java Language
Specification to figure this out :(

thanks,

bryan