db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derbyall runtimes, 10.1, and Security Manager
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 00:51:11 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>
> When playing around with individual tests--enabling and disabling the
> SecurityManager--I have noticed that our tests run considerably slower
> when launched under the SecurityManager. I don't have any sense of how
> much of the problem is just a tax we have to pay for security. Sounds
> like your experiments may have confirmed that the problem is not
> isolated to our test environment. It's definitely worth profiling this
> drag so that
>
> 1) we can factor security calls to the outer loop
> 2) we can appropriately set our customers' expectations

I agree it's worth running benchmarks with and without the security
manager. I would not take the tests and test harness slowdown as any
real indication of application performance. Most applications will reach
a steady state where they do not make calls that require a JVM security
check, e.g. reading a file does not, only opening it.

Dan.