db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWD] Review of Final Chapters (5 and 6)
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 23:35:34 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>Stanley Bradbury wrote:
>

>>The final chapters or the Working With Derby are available for review
>>

>>==== SNIP ===
>>
>>In chapter 6 you link to http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UsesOfDerby ,
>>and I think this is ok but that list kind of overwhelming with just a
>>few pointers on how to actually use a product with Derby.
>>
>>I had pulled some of the links for the Quick Start page [1] from
>>http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyInstruction , which points to real
>>materials on how to do things. I think with some improvement it might be
>>a better candidate for linking to.
>>
>>I'll take a shot at reorgnizing the DerbyInstruction:
>> 1) I think it needs a flatter structure that makes it easier to find a
>>given product
>> 2) I don't like the name DerbyInstruction -- I find it too hard to even
>>remember it's there. What would be better? DerbyHowTo ?
>>
>>thoughts?
>>
>> -jean
>>
>>[1] http://db.apache.org/derby/quick_start.html#Next+Steps+for+Users

Hi Jean -

Thank you for pointing this page out - I like your suggestion  but think
it better to replace the main link at the beginning of the chapter
(currently pointing to the 'Quick Start' page (QS)) with the more
focused   DerbyInstruction page (DI). What do you think?  I would then
demote, so to speak, the QS link to paragraph text where QS is mentioned
(just before the location of the 'Uses of Derby' link (UOD)).  I'd like
to leave the text mentioning UOD and encouraging people to add to it
but, after thinking about your comments, think that removing the link
from WWD would be wise.  People who are really interested can seek out
the page but folks not sure where to go next won't be able to just click
through to it.  I agree it is a mixed bag but I do like it from a PR
standpoint - it shows Derby is being adopted.
That is to say:  I like telling people about UOD at the end of  WWD as
they might be wondering where Derby fits within their environment.
Though the links on UOD will not talk directly about Derby the number of
entries show it is widely used.  I think seeing this will provide a
level of confidence that Derby can be used in real-life situations.

And now onto you question:  A better name for DerbyInstruction here are
some off-the-top (if not off-the-wall) suggestions (I like DerbyHowTo as
well):

DerbyCookbook  -  CookingWithDerby  - DerbyRecipes - DerbyRecipebook

ImplementingDerby  - RunningWithDerby - DerbyKnowHow