db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 20:48:26 GMT
> Before injecting a massive singularity into our code archaeology, I
> would like to better understand the passionate objection to tabs. Let me
> explain my perspective: I use a crude, old-fashioned editor called
> emacs. My tabs are configured at 4 space intervals. With this setting, I
> almost never have a problem reading the existing code. So who is having
> problems and why?

1) Some tools change code invisibly. E.g. Emacs will (at least in some
   configurations) change from space to tabs or vice vers when you hit
   the tab key.
2) Tabstops set to 4, as you do, requires all tools working with Derby
   to be identically set up. I guess that never will happen.
3) Spaces are spaces and mey not be differently interpreted.

I use Emasc too (best IDE there is!) and have configured Emacs to fill
with spaces when I hit the tab key.

> Do other people's IDEs silently bulk reformat the code?

It seems like some do.....

> Can that behavior be disabled?

Well. Difficult to say. We deal with Emacs, XEamacs, netbeans,
Eclipse, vi, and a host of other tools/editors here.

> Could we be satisfied with the following simple rules, which used to
> satisfy us nine years ago:
>
> 1) Ladies and gentlemen, set your tabs to four spaces.
> 2) Don't bulk reformat other people's code.
>
> I hope we are not headed into a religious war.

And: I don't hate tabs. But my nearly 30 years of programming have
taught me that spaces work better than tabs, but I can live with
both. What I dont *want* to live with (although I of course can), is
unnecessary white space changes when working with svn. Therefore, an
enforced standard would be welcomed by me.

> [...]
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway