db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Code formatting debate, confusion and wasted time , Has it gone on long enough?
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 19:18:38 GMT
I heartily agree. We definitely need an enforced standard on
this. Personally, I don't care very much about coding style (whether
the "{"'s are placed on separate lines or not, whether a function is
falled "foo()" or "foo ()" etc). But I do very much care about
whitespace problems when dealing with tools like cvs and svn.

And, we should definitely get rid of the tabs.

> In a comment in DERBY-1302 Knut Anders said ....
> >If we want to reindent large parts of the code, I think we should do
> >it sometime after 10.1.3 is released and before the 10.2 branch is
> >created, and we should try to use a style that is used elsewhere in
> >the code (I prefer tab-free code myself).
>
> Perhaps we have all lived in the code formatting "Tower of Babel" long
> enough.  I think code formatting like language doesn't matter as long as
> everyone understands it and it is consistent.  I would like to propose
> that we:
>
> 1) Choose and document  a format.
>    I think everyone can agree to get rid of the tabs.  Otherwise ...
>     The volunteer doing the work gets to propose the format and only
> very serious objections should be raised
>           in the interest of getting this done.  Some Apache examples
> are at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/faqs.html#Coding%20Conventions%20and%20Standards
> 2) Set a date six weeks out from the completion of the code formatting
> documentation  for the reformat so folks can plan accordingly.
> 3) See if there are volunteers willing to determine the correct settings
> for Eclipse, Net Beans and other IDE's.
> 4) On the reformatting date, reformat both the trunk and the 10.1 branch
> so that fixes can be merged easily.
>
> Extra credit, think about  long term maintenance, checking,  and
> auto-formatting.
>
> Does anyone have any  objections to a plan like this? If not I will
> create a Jira entry and subtasks. Anyone tired enough of this issue to
> take on  this task?
>
> Kathey
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway