db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Disussion surrounding holding off metadata changes until certain issues resolved
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:24:21 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@Sun.COM> writes:

> Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>>> So, I'm unclear: Are you still blocking metadata changes or are you
>>> satisfied with the analysis done so far by Knut Anders and Dyre? Can
>>> we proceed with metadata checkins provided that:
>>>
>>> 1) Such patches clearly describe acceptable upgrade behavior
>>> 2) Clean upgrade test results accompany the submissions
>>>
>> I think that this would be fine and in addition would hope that any
>> metadata queries changed/added  were  covered as part of the ugprade test.
>
> I think it would be good if the upgrade test also ran metadata tests
> in the DerbyNetClient framework. The only known upgrade issue in 10.2
> is DERBY-1176, but it is not exposed by the upgrade test since it is
> only seen in client/server mode.

It would be nice it that were added.

Client SUR changes some metadata (in metadata_net.properties) and
relies on DERBY-1176 for correct operation under upgrade for some
metadata queries, cf. the DERBY-775 write-up.

As I was working with DERBY-775, it struck me that the JCC client
might get problems when metadata_net.properties is updated to reflect
Derby client capabilities not necessarily present in the JCC driver.
Should there perhaps be different code paths for the two drivers(JCC,
DerbyNetClient) wrt SYSIBM metadata? Not my itch, but...

Dag