db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: New query language
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:33:51 GMT
Jean Morissette <jean.morissette@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> SQL has a lot of problems; it is incomplete, unfriendly, unsound, too
> huge, confusing, inconsistent, etc. [1, 2, 3]  It is the more ugly
> language that I ever see.

That's your opinion.

> For many reasons, it seems that no DBMS vendor is interested to create
> a better language.

Actually, it has been tried a number of times, but has never
succeeded (much).

> So my question: why don't we - the open source
> community - take the lead and create a new language that could be the
> basis for a future standard?

It has been tried. And many people out there are still trying,
hard. If you want to try as well, please do. Somehow though, I don't
think you'll find much support for your cause in the Derby
community. Derby is, after all, a very SQL-centered RDBMS. If SQL is
"the more ugly language that I ever see", then maybe Derby isn't for
you :)

--
dt