db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: 10.2 release in August?
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:59:55 GMT
Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Korneliussen@Sun.COM> writes:
[snip]
> +1
>
> Yes, I think we do have many new features, which are independent from
> JDBC 4 (i.e SUR), and it would be good to get them released to users.

+1

I also feel that there are enough new features to warrant a new
feature release fairly soon. It is really too bad that Grant/Revoke is
not ready yet, because that would have been a valuable addition to
such a release.

>> This is the schedule I was planning to propose:
>>   May 29: Feature freeze. All new features must have been committed.
>> May 31: Release an alpha version that users can test in order to
>>   find bugs and provide feedback on the new features.
>>   June 23: Release a new alpha (beta?) version with (hopefully) many
>>   bugs fixed since the previous alpha.
>>   July 21: Have a release candidate ready. Start testing and voting.
>>   August 1: Release Apache Derby 10.2.1.0.
>> Obviously, the dates need to be aligned with the 10.1.3 schedule.
>> Is this something the community wants and would support? And are the
>> proposed dates for feature freeze and release possible to meet for
>> those of you who plan to have new features for the 10.2 release?
>>

> +1 I would like to support this release, and the proposed schedule
> seems to be realisitic in terms of getting the SUR features (+related
> bugfixes) into the release.

I also thought this schedule looked reasonable, but the feedback seems
to indicate that others disagree, which is too bad...

I can understand that this comes close to 10.1.3, but I really think
we need a release from trunk soon. In addition to getting new features
out to non-snapshot users, it could also cut down on the
need to merge so many fixes to the 10.1 branch. It seems like the
difference between 10.1 and trunk is already creating hairy merge issues...

--
dt