db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Problem with new SQLException hierarchy in 1.6
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:01:30 GMT
Hi.

I observe a strange diff when running metadata.java under 1.6 and
NetworkServer.

Some expected SQLExceptions that are printed in the output have ' : '
appended to them, and this causes a diff.

After some debugging and poking around I discovered that this is
because

DRDAConnThread::buildSqlerrmc(SQLException se)

assumes that if 'se' is NOT an EmbedSQLException it should not build a
tokenized sqlerrmc:

		if (se instanceof EmbedSQLException  && ! severe)
			sqlerrmc = buildTokenizedSqlerrmc((EmbedSQLException) se);
		else {
		    System.out.println("using preformatted...");
			// If this is not an EmbedSQLException or is a severe excecption where
			// we have no hope of succussfully calling the SYSIBM.SQLCAMESSAGE send
			// preformatted message using the server locale
			sqlerrmc = buildPreformattedSqlerrmc(se);
			}

But in Java 1.6 'se' can indeed be something else, e.g.
java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException

in this case the NetworkServer will build a preformatted message, and
SYSIBM.SQLCAMESSAGE will be called on this. Unfortunately  the input
is not checked very well so it ends up trying to use the preformatted
message as a real messageId and try to look up a localized version of
the message. This obviously doesn't work and in the bail-out process we end up
with the preformatted message with ' : ' appended to it...

So I think DRDAConnThread::buildSqlerrmc(SQLException se) must be able
to handle all the new SQLException types. Should I log a JIRA?

Also, I think it would be good to clean up the localization/message
formatting code so that it becomes more robust and fail-fast.

David, will this will be addressed by the ongoing internationalization work?

--
dt