db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2 release in August?
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:18:55 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>
>>   August 1: Release Apache Derby 10.2.1.0.
>>
>> Obviously, the dates need to be aligned with the 10.1.3 schedule.
>>
>> Is this something the community wants and would support? And are the
>> proposed dates for feature freeze and release possible to meet for
>> those of you who plan to have new features for the 10.2 release?
>
> Seems close to the Sept/Oct timeframe proposed for the 10.2 release with
> JDBC 4.0.

Yes, but the Derby community has no control over when the JDBC 4.0
spec is made GA. What if the spec is delayed even more? I guess the
question is whether JDBC 4.0 is important enough to delay the release
of other useful features indefinitely. I was hoping that a 10.2
release would include features such as scrollable updatable result
sets, online backup, grant/revoke, encrypted password and
internationalized client driver, and since these are features that
other databases already have, my guess is that there are far more
users waiting for these features than for JDBC 4.0.

> "Release early, release often" is good, but if we create too many
> branches for Derby it will cause confusion and additional work for
> contributors and committers as patches might need to be ported to
> several branches.

I agree. Having many branches is potentially painful and confusing. A
10.2 branch was planned anyway, so your concern is that we might get a
10.3 branch right after 10.2 is released, right? This is a risk that
has to be weighed agaist the risk of having to wait for a long time
for the JDBC 4.0 spec.

> Another way to look at the "Release early, release often" is to focus on
> the release early part, we can (&do) make snapshots of 10.2 (trunk)
> available for people to test new features. That is a "release" of the
> software though not an "offical release" with stability etc.
>
> We could probably do a better job of providing snapshots. Up to this
> point we have provided them infrequently. Also, looking at the current
> 10.2 snapshot there is no text around it to say why people should pick
> it up and what they should be testing.

You make valid points, and I wholeheartedly agree that we should do a
better job with documenting our snapshots. But, as I'm sure you know,
alpha quality snapshots cannot be used in production.

--
Knut Anders