db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2 release in August?
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:21:18 GMT
"Jean T. Anderson" <jta@bristowhill.com> writes:

> What features would you like to see released in August that you don't
> think could wait for an October release?

It is not a single feature, but the set of new features that is
interesting. I have been in contact with users who are very eager to
see a feature release in August, and who think that October is too
late and that the JDBC 4.0 schedule is too vague to be depending
on. They have for instance expressed their enthusiasm for scrollable
updatable result sets, online backup and internationalization.

> Would an August 10.2 release be instead of the 10.1.3 currently under
> way? Or are we talking about a 10.1.3 maintenance (voting starts June
> 9), followed by 10.2 (voting starts August), followed by 10.3 (October?).

I have no intentions of stopping the 10.1.3 release, so voting for
10.1.3 in June and for 10.2 at the end of July sounds reasonable to
me. Whether or not it is followed by 10.3 in October is very hard to
predict as long as we only know that Mustang is planned sometime this
autumn.

> "Release early and often" is good, but needs to be balanced by the
> effort required to do a release: the voting cycle, pmc approval,
> logistics in making it available for download from asf mirrors (plus the
> branch management issues Dan mentioned in his response).
>
> Releasing every two months sounds really aggressive and I'd be concerned
> that we're spending more time on release cycles than code changes....

Good points, but now we haven't spent time on release cycles for a
long time, so there's a lot of fine code that's not available to our
users. And software is all about users, right? There is never a
perfect time to do a release because you can always wait a month or
two for a new fancy feature, but then there's not going to be a
release.

--
Knut Anders