db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject 10.2 release in August?
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:24:52 GMT
Hi all,

I was just about to send out a mail yesterday, proposing a 10.2
release in August, when I noticed that Kathey and Andrew had published
the 10.1.3 release schedule on the wiki. Although there might be
collisions between the two schedules, I will post my proposal, and
then we can discuss whether this is doable and desirable, and whether
we need to adjust the schedules.

The reason why I want a 10.2 release in August, is that we have a lot
of new features in trunk that should be made available to our
users. The spirit of open source is "release early, release often",
and in August it is one year since the previous feature release. A
bug-fix release on the 10.1 branch is very good for Derby in my
opinion, but I would also really like to see that we got all the new
features out to our users.

Another 10.2 release process was started earlier this year, but it was
postponed because it could not have JDBC 4.0 support before the JDBC
4.0 spec is generally available. I would therefore like to have a 10.2
release not depending on the JDBC 4.0 schedule (which means that the
release most likely will be without JDBC 4.0 support). If we choose to
go for such a release, I am willing to be release manager.

This is the schedule I was planning to propose:

  May 29: Feature freeze. All new features must have been committed. 

  May 31: Release an alpha version that users can test in order to
  find bugs and provide feedback on the new features.

  June 23: Release a new alpha (beta?) version with (hopefully) many
  bugs fixed since the previous alpha.

  July 21: Have a release candidate ready. Start testing and voting.

  August 1: Release Apache Derby 10.2.1.0.

Obviously, the dates need to be aligned with the 10.1.3 schedule.

Is this something the community wants and would support? And are the
proposed dates for feature freeze and release possible to meet for
those of you who plan to have new features for the 10.2 release?

Thanks,
Knut Anders

Mime
View raw message