db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Deepa Remesh" <drem...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about Upgrade tests
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:29:02 GMT
On 4/19/06, Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com <Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at DERBY-514 to figure out what the preferred
> way of running the Upgrade tests is, and have some questions:
>
> 1) Should it be possible to run the Upgrade tests stand-alone? Or just
>    as part of an Upgrade suite? If so; what is this suite called?

Upgrade test can be run using RunTest: java
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest
upgradeTests/Upgrade_10_1_10_2.java

> 2) If I check out trunk I should not have to put anything in
>    ant.properties to run the Upgrade tests, right?

If the test is run on the same machine used for build, the 10.1 jars
checked into svn will be used.

> 3) I should be able to set derbyTesting.jar.path if want to run the
>    Upgrade tests with a different set of 10.1 jars than those I
>    checked out with trunk. Correct?

Yes.

> 4) I thought I read in DERBY-514 that derbyTesting.jar.path is
>    described in BUILDING.txt. But when looking at BUILDING.txt from
>    trunk I cannot find anything about this.

Thanks for catching this. The change to BUILDING.txt is included in my
patch3 diff file but somehow this was missed in the patch commit:

+    - Optional - derbyTesting.jar.path
+
+      This property is required to run upgrade tests. Set this property
+      to point to the location of jar files from a previous release from
+      which we need to test upgrade. This property needs to be set only if
+      the source files will not be available when running tests. In this case,
+       the jars can be copied to any location with the following relative path
+      ${jar_location}/{majorversion.minorversion}. The property should be set
+      as follows:
+
+      derbyTesting.jar.path=${jar_location}
+
+      If the test is run on the machine where the svn source files
are available,
+      it is not required to set this property. The jars checked into
svn will be used.
+

Can someone please commit this missed change in derby-514-patch3-v2.diff?

> 5) Are the Upgrade tests now part of derbyall?

Not yet. I have been caught up in something else and have not been
able to get to this and Andrew's comments.

Thanks,
Deepa