db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Deepa Remesh" <drem...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade tests and jars in the repository
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 22:31:40 GMT
On 4/5/06, Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking about how to make the Derby jars accessible to the
> upgrade tests,

Thanks Andrew for working on this.

[snip ... proposal to make Derby jars available in svn]

> Deepa, does this sound like a good plan to you?

I have not understood the full details but your plan to just have a
single copy of jars from a particular release and make them available
to multiple branches seems like a good idea to me.

> Will the upgrade tests
> be able to locate the jars in the location above? That's the next
> question to answer and I'll start looking at how the tests can locate
> the jars based on the execution environment.

I would be glad if you are willing to help me out here. I have been
working on this assuming the jars will be available in the svn in a
specific location in the code tree (e.g:
tools/testing/derby/{version}).

This is the general idea I am working on: Specify a new property
(derby.source.path) in ant.properties file which points to the source
files on the local machine. When building upgrade tests, this property
will be used to create a property (derbyTesting.jarPath) in the
<test>_app.properties file. When running the upgrade tests, the code
looks for derbyTesting.jarPath property and adds the relative path
(e.g: tools/testing/derby/{version}) to it and uses this as the
location of previous release jars. With this approach, we will need
the svn workspace (which has the previous release jars) to be on the
machine where we run the tests.

Does this sound good to you? Or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Deepa