db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade tests and jars in the repository
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 22:39:49 GMT
On 4/5/06, David W. Van Couvering <David.Vancouvering@sun.com> wrote:
> I often have multiple checkouts on my machine, one for something I'm
> running derbyall, one for something I'm actively working on, and one for
> patches I need to evaluate.
>
> I don't think it's crucial, but is there a way to have a single set of
> jar files that can be shared across multiple code checkouts?  Is that
> what you are making possible by changing the svn:externals property?

No, what svn:externals allows you to do is have a single, external
source for a directory in your hierarchy. Then multiple branches do
not each carry copies of the files, they are sourced from the external
location when you perform a checkout.

Sharing a single set across checkouts would necessitate configuring a
master location for the files, and I think what we want for the
upgrade tests is a zero configuration policy so that automated tests
can be run without any additional setup. I suppose we could require an
extra step to checkout the jars or configure a master location for the
jars for the upgrade tests before a full build-and-test on a new
checkout can complete, but I tend to prefer less configuration, not
more. :-)

andrew