db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Derbyall runtimes, 10.1, and Security Manager
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:55:24 GMT
I had occasion recently to be porting a few bug fixes from the
trunk to 10.1, and so I happened to be running derbyall on 10.1.

I don't really want to re-ignite the debate over derbyall runtime,
but the difference in duration between a derbyall run on the
trunk, and a derbyall run on 10.1, was really remarkable.

Then, as part of working on DERBY-1229, I happened to be running
a lot of interactive experiments both with and without the
security manager. And I noticed that when I ran Derby code with
the security manager enabled, the runtime speed was noticeably
slower.

So I'm wondering, is it possible that a significant portion of
the derbyall slowdown in the trunk is due to running with the
security manager enabled, and, if so, is there anything we can
do with that knowledge?

thanks,

bryan