db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2 release in August?
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:17:49 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

> Don't think keeping them undocumented is sufficient.. There are clear
> specifications posted to JIRA and open source nature of Derby could
> allow anyone to attempt to use the features. Even otherwise, GRANT and
> REVOKE statements are well known and don't really need documentation for
> many users. We would have to remove the underlying code or disable parts
> of the functionality.

I do not understand this.  Why do we need to actively prevent users from
using undocumented features?

In order to be able to release often, implementors of larger features
need to be prepared for a release from trunk before their feature is
completed.  One way to do this would be to provide an property for
turning the functionality off.  What is a large feature in this context?
I would say anything that takes more than 6 months to develop.

--
Øystein