db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Porting Derby Database files between machines
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 03:02:42 GMT
Geoff Powdrell wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know if the derby database files can be moved between machines. That
when you create a derby database that there is no registry settings made or machine specific
settings applied to that machine.

> For example :
> If I have a database which I connect to via the url 'jdbc:derby:testdb' I have a directory
and subdirectory as follows:

> testdb
> 	db.lck
> 	service.properties
> 	log(DIR)
> 		log.crtl
> 		log1.data
> 		logmirror.ctrl
> 	seg0(DIR)
> 		c*.dat files
> 	tmp(DIR)
> 		(empty dir)

Derby database files are platform-independent and can be copied between
machines.

This isn't documented yet, but there is a Jira issue for it at
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-711 .

In the case you've given, be sure to copy the entire 'testdb' database
hierarchy.

regards,

 -jean