db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Binding votes for a release (was Re: 10.2 release in August?)
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:50:21 GMT
Michelle Caisse wrote:
> I want to clarify that the current discussion is about a release plan,
> not a release, so the issue of PMC binding votes is moot for now.  It's

Yes, that's correct. That's why I changed the subject from "Re: 10.2
release in August?" to "Binding votes for a release". Sometimes
discussion can get off-topic from the original and it's then good to
modify the subject accordingly.

And this one definitely went further then my original intent, which was
to simply clarify that releases can't be vetoed, unlike code changes. At
any rate, asf culture often liberally sprinkles -1 and +1's throughout
discussions even though no vote has been called.

> my understanding that a release vote is a vote "on whether a package is
> ready to be released".  The Apache guidelines do not cover a vote on a
> release plan, but the Apache DB site does: "Lazy majority decides each
> issue in a release plan."  Again, according to

I think "lazy majority" in this context refers to lazy concensus, which
is an alternative to voting; see
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus .

> http://db.apache.org/decisions.html, the binding votes are cast by
> committers.  Am I missing anything?

Probably it's time to discuss clarifying the DB PMC docs with the DB
PMC. Since you're on the DB PMC, I'd encourage you to go ahead and
initiate that discussion.

 -jean

<snipped>