db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 10.2 release in August?
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:27:57 GMT
Satheesh Bandaram wrote:

> If there is a good chance of Mustang and JDBC4 being ready by Sept/Oct, we
> should avoid another release in August. Rick doesn't seem to foresee a
> Mustang schedule slip and given
> incomplete nature of Grant & Revoke authorization, I vote to keep one
> release in Sep/Oct.

+1

However, I think we need to have the 10.2 release in Sep/Oct regardless
of any Mustang release, we cannot continually delay Derby releases based
upon external factors. I think we should try to match the Mustang
schedule to get JDBC 4.0 in, but if Mustang slips we need to release
10.2. This of course may lead to the same "two quick release" issues
*if* Mustang slips. I think this is less of a problem because the
discussion is just about adding JDBC 4.0, not two releases each with
their own set of new features. If Mustang slips I can see an argument
for shipping 10.2 in Oct and then a 10.2 maintainance release with JDBC
4.0. JDBC 4.0 is more or less just api (new drivers) on top of the
database engine. I think this would cause less issues than 10.2 and 10.3
releases and branches within a short time of each other.

I also think a single 10.2 in Oct release is less of an issue because
that's the current plan. We were planning a release in May/June but it
got slipped to Oct, this caused me to adjust schedules and re-order what
I was doing. I'm sure others did the same. Now with a much earlier
unexpected release I won't have time to finish what I wanted for 10.2
and thus may need code to be backed out to leave the system in a useable
state that provides forward compatibility. Backing out large amounts of
code (e.g. possibly grant/revoke) will cause stability issues and hamper
efforts to port bug fixes between branches.

I think we could use this time between now and October to promote the
upcoming 10.2 release with snapshots and guidelines etc. on which new
features to test. If we can do this promotion successfully we will have
a much better 10.2 release in Oct.

Thanks,
Dan.