db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: 10.2 release in August?
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:33:07 GMT
What features would you like to see released in August that you don't
think could wait for an October release?

Would an August 10.2 release be instead of the 10.1.3 currently under
way? Or are we talking about a 10.1.3 maintenance (voting starts June
9), followed by 10.2 (voting starts August), followed by 10.3 (October?).

"Release early and often" is good, but needs to be balanced by the
effort required to do a release: the voting cycle, pmc approval,
logistics in making it available for download from asf mirrors (plus the
branch management issues Dan mentioned in his response).

Releasing every two months sounds really aggressive and I'd be concerned
that we're spending more time on release cycles than code changes....


Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was just about to send out a mail yesterday, proposing a 10.2
> release in August, when I noticed that Kathey and Andrew had published
> the 10.1.3 release schedule on the wiki. Although there might be
> collisions between the two schedules, I will post my proposal, and
> then we can discuss whether this is doable and desirable, and whether
> we need to adjust the schedules.
> The reason why I want a 10.2 release in August, is that we have a lot
> of new features in trunk that should be made available to our
> users. The spirit of open source is "release early, release often",
> and in August it is one year since the previous feature release. A
> bug-fix release on the 10.1 branch is very good for Derby in my
> opinion, but I would also really like to see that we got all the new
> features out to our users.
> Another 10.2 release process was started earlier this year, but it was
> postponed because it could not have JDBC 4.0 support before the JDBC
> 4.0 spec is generally available. I would therefore like to have a 10.2
> release not depending on the JDBC 4.0 schedule (which means that the
> release most likely will be without JDBC 4.0 support). If we choose to
> go for such a release, I am willing to be release manager.
> This is the schedule I was planning to propose:
>   May 29: Feature freeze. All new features must have been committed. 
>   May 31: Release an alpha version that users can test in order to
>   find bugs and provide feedback on the new features.
>   June 23: Release a new alpha (beta?) version with (hopefully) many
>   bugs fixed since the previous alpha.
>   July 21: Have a release candidate ready. Start testing and voting.
>   August 1: Release Apache Derby
> Obviously, the dates need to be aligned with the 10.1.3 schedule.
> Is this something the community wants and would support? And are the
> proposed dates for feature freeze and release possible to meet for
> those of you who plan to have new features for the 10.2 release?
> Thanks,
> Knut Anders

View raw message