db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Korneliussen <Andreas.Kornelius...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.2 release in August?
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:07:34 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just about to send out a mail yesterday, proposing a 10.2
> release in August, when I noticed that Kathey and Andrew had published
> the 10.1.3 release schedule on the wiki. Although there might be
> collisions between the two schedules, I will post my proposal, and
> then we can discuss whether this is doable and desirable, and whether
> we need to adjust the schedules.
>
> The reason why I want a 10.2 release in August, is that we have a lot
> of new features in trunk that should be made available to our
> users. The spirit of open source is "release early, release often",
> and in August it is one year since the previous feature release. A
> bug-fix release on the 10.1 branch is very good for Derby in my
> opinion, but I would also really like to see that we got all the new
> features out to our users.
>
> Another 10.2 release process was started earlier this year, but it was
> postponed because it could not have JDBC 4.0 support before the JDBC
> 4.0 spec is generally available. I would therefore like to have a 10.2
> release not depending on the JDBC 4.0 schedule (which means that the
> release most likely will be without JDBC 4.0 support). If we choose to
> go for such a release, I am willing to be release manager.

+1

Yes, I think we do have many new features, which are independent from
JDBC 4 (i.e SUR), and it would be good to get them released to users.

> This is the schedule I was planning to propose:
>
>   May 29: Feature freeze. All new features must have been committed.
>
>   May 31: Release an alpha version that users can test in order to
>   find bugs and provide feedback on the new features.
>
>   June 23: Release a new alpha (beta?) version with (hopefully) many
>   bugs fixed since the previous alpha.
>
>   July 21: Have a release candidate ready. Start testing and voting.
>
>   August 1: Release Apache Derby 10.2.1.0.
>
> Obviously, the dates need to be aligned with the 10.1.3 schedule.
>
> Is this something the community wants and would support? And are the
> proposed dates for feature freeze and release possible to meet for
> those of you who plan to have new features for the 10.2 release?

+1 I would like to support this release, and the proposed schedule seems
to be realisitic in terms of getting the SUR features (+related
bugfixes) into the release.

-- Andreas