db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 10.2 release in August?
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:46:52 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

>   August 1: Release Apache Derby 10.2.1.0.
>
> Obviously, the dates need to be aligned with the 10.1.3 schedule.
>
> Is this something the community wants and would support? And are the
> proposed dates for feature freeze and release possible to meet for
> those of you who plan to have new features for the 10.2 release?

Seems close to the Sept/Oct timeframe proposed for the 10.2 release with
JDBC 4.0.

"Release early, release often" is good, but if we create too many
branches for Derby it will cause confusion and additional work for
contributors and committers as patches might need to be ported to
several branches.

Another way to look at the "Release early, release often" is to focus on
the release early part, we can (&do) make snapshots of 10.2 (trunk)
available for people to test new features. That is a "release" of the
software though not an "offical release" with stability etc.

We could probably do a better job of providing snapshots. Up to this
point we have provided them infrequently. Also, looking at the current
10.2 snapshot there is no text around it to say why people should pick
it up and what they should be testing.

Dan.