db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWD] LAST CALL - for comments: CH 3 and 4 Revision 1.1 review
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:04:03 GMT
John Embretsen wrote:

> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> Over all I think this looks pretty good, Stan. Here are a couple minor
>> suggestions. Page numbers referenced are the printed page.
>> Page 5: Activity 2: "Activity miscellanea"
>> I suggest simplifying this section title to something like "Activity
>> Notes" so users who aren't native to English won't feel compelled to
>> look "miscellanea" up in the dictionary.
> I agree...
>> Page 7: Activity 3: Step 2
>> "verify that the Java SDK is proper installed" should be "verify that
>> the Java SDK is properly installed"
> This may be of microscopic importance at this point in time, but:
> To make this guide more in line with current naming conventions in the
> world of Java (and to reduce the need for maintenance), I suggest not
> using "Java SDK" at all. The reason for this is that as of J2SE 5.0
> (or 1.5 if you wish), the development kit has reverted back to the
> name "JDK" from "Java 2 SDK" (or "J2SDK"), and the runtime environment
> has reverted back to "JRE" from "J2RE".
> See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/relnotes/version-5.0.html for
> details.
> So perhaps "verify that the Java development kit is properly
> installed" is better/more general?
> By the way, more on Java SE/EE naming here:
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/JavaOne2005/naming.html
> Also on Page 7:
> Activity 3, step 1: There is a space missing in "set theCLASSPATH:"
-- And in addition Jean had stated:

Page 11: Activity 3: "Shutdown the Database"

Do you want to mention that nothing bad will happen if you don't
explicitly shutdown the database? and that Derby will run recovery code
on the next startup?

If I were a new user, I would read "The shutdown process puts the
database in a consistent state" and wonder if I would risk leaving the
database in an inconsistent state if I didn't explicitly shut it down.

= = = = =
Thank you  Jean and John -

I will improve / correct these areas.  I really appreciate the information on JDK vs SDK and
move away from using either even though I do have a love for TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms).

I was indulging in a bit of whimsy when I selected the word
'miscellanea' and can see how that would not 'play' well to a global
audience (english as a second/third/.. language).  I will avoid such
word-play in the future (and rename the section in Ch 3  that also
suffers from whimsy)..

View raw message