db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [WWD] LAST CALL - for comments: CH 3 and 4 Revision 1.1 review
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:59:41 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Over all I think this looks pretty good, Stan. Here are a couple minor
> suggestions. Page numbers referenced are the printed page.
>
> Page 5: Activity 2: "Activity miscellanea"
>
> I suggest simplifying this section title to something like "Activity
> Notes" so users who aren't native to English won't feel compelled to
> look "miscellanea" up in the dictionary.

I agree...

> Page 7: Activity 3: Step 2
>
> "verify that the Java SDK is proper installed" should be "verify that
> the Java SDK is properly installed"

This may be of microscopic importance at this point in time, but:

To make this guide more in line with current naming conventions in the world of Java (and
to reduce the need for maintenance), I suggest not using "Java SDK" at all. The reason for
this is that as of
J2SE 5.0 (or 1.5 if you wish), the development kit has reverted back to the name "JDK" from
"Java 2 SDK" (or "J2SDK"), and the runtime environment has reverted back to "JRE" from "J2RE".
See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/relnotes/version-5.0.html for details.

So perhaps "verify that the Java development kit is properly installed" is better/more general?

By the way, more on Java SE/EE naming here:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/JavaOne2005/naming.html

Also on Page 7:

Activity 3, step 1: There is a space missing in "set theCLASSPATH:"

--
John