db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [WWD] LAST CALL - for comments: CH 3 and 4 Revision 1.1 review
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:25:26 GMT
Over all I think this looks pretty good, Stan. Here are a couple minor
suggestions. Page numbers referenced are the printed page.

Page 5: Activity 2: "Activity miscellanea"

I suggest simplifying this section title to something like "Activity
Notes" so users who aren't native to English won't feel compelled to
look "miscellanea" up in the dictionary.

Page 7: Activity 3: Step 2

"verify that the Java SDK is proper installed" should be "verify that
the Java SDK is properly installed"

Page 11: Activity 3: "Shutdown the Database"

Do you want to mention that nothing bad will happen if you don't
explicitly shutdown the database? and that Derby will run recovery code
on the next startup?

If I were a new user, I would read "The shutdown process puts the
database in a consistent state" and wonder if I would risk leaving the
database in an inconsistent state if I didn't explicitly shut it down.
In other words, users don't have to worry if their program ends (or
crashes) before a shutdown is invoked.

by the way -- I like the sample app. It's cute.

 -jean