db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "David W. Van Couvering" <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: serialization of Derby DataSources
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:16:06 GMT
My understanding was that they may persist across upgrades because the
data source objects are serialized into a JNDI store.  In general we can
*add* non-transient fields but we can't remove or change them.

I think also since we support the Referenceable interface, the object is
reconstructed in a compatible way using our own code, rather than
depending upon serialization's default mechanism.  But that's where I'm
still a little muddled.

By the way, using the *exact* same compiler, I tried to gently modify a
DataSource following all the rules I could imagine, and because I didn't
know the serialVersionUID was accidentally made private, I kept getting
an incompatible class error or whatever it's called.  I was doing
everything perfectly, and it was still breaking.  Once I set the
serialVersionUID to be public, peace reigned.

David