db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Request-reply protocol for the network server - always?
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:37:06 GMT
Hello,

The protocol between the Derby network client and the server is
request-reply. Is it so that *every* client request (data passing over
the wire) results in a server reply?

What I'd like to know, is if it can happen that the server receives a
request from the client, then does something, but does not send a reply
back.

It's a bit hard to tell quickly when you don't know the DRDA code (or
the spec), since it is pretty big. For instance, I see the following
check in DDMWriter.finalizeChain:

resetChainState();
if (offset != 0) {
	try {
		flush(socketOutputStream);
}

Can 'offset' ever by 0 when finalizeChain is called and the server
actually believes it has data to send?

--
Kristian