db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Sometimes, the "incubator" logo appears on the Derby web site pages
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:07:00 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> This is not a big deal, but I was a bit surprised to see the
> "incubator" logo still appearing in a few places on the Derby
> web site.
>    http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/reference/sqlj82.html
>
> On that last page, for me at least, there is an "incubator"
> logo at the top of the page, instead of the Derby Black Hat logo
> that I was expecting to see.

Good catch, Bryan, thanks!

It isn't readily apparent, but those are 10.0 docs -- and 10.0 is an
incubator release. In a nutshell, during those early days the docs were
part of the derby web site, stored as forrest source. I moved the 10.0
docs to http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/ , but put a symbolic link
in place on the web site to reduce broken urls. Unfortunately, there's
no correspondence between the old docs and the DITA files of 10.1 and
later, so we can't redirect to a more current version of that info.

I think I can put a redirect in place that will at least make it
apparent in the URL these are 10.0 docs.

This was an incubator release, so it doesn't seem right to leave an
impression that it's not. How about something like this?

 - replace the incubator logo with this notice
"This documentation is part of the Apache Derby 10.0 Incubator release.
Please visit the main site for more current documentation in the
official releases."
 - replace the Derby in the masthead with the actual logo

suggestions?

thanks,

-jean