db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [web/doc] Accessing DTDs locally vs. externally -- summary of Derby IRC chat
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:17:37 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> I have been vaguely aware that every time I build the Derby web
> site it does in fact get the DTDs from forrest.apache.org. And after the
> discussion on the infrastructure list I realize that I do need to change
> this.

No, I'm wrong about this; building the web site is not an issue.
'forrest site' (and 'forrest run') resolve the DTDs from local copies
under FORREST_HOME. http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/catalog.html says:

"When Forrest processes the documents, it uses the Resolver to find
Forrest's local copies of the DTDs, rather than trundling out onto the
network."

A search of the forrest mail list archives yielded a clarifying Crossley
tid bit in
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/forrest-user/200410.mbox/%3C1098058268.4210.31581.camel@ighp%3E

"If you call 'forrest' with its own shell script, then it uses its own
packaged Ant and the supporting catalog entity resolver."

The only issue is using non-forrest tools. For Derby this is most likely
editing Derby XML source with tools that perform validation. Those tools
need to be configured to use a catalog entity resolver per the
instructions in http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/catalog.html .

I believe that no changes to the Derby source are needed. All that is
needed is a note in http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/derby_web.html .

Any disagreement?

thanks,

 -jean