db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject [web/doc] Accessing DTDs locally vs. externally -- summary of Derby IRC chat
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:55:02 GMT
There was a lengthy discussion on infrastructure@a.o that I'll summarize
succinctly as:

1) Somebody requested a centralized location for Apache DTDs.
2) The request was turned down because of the load that resolving DTDs
puts on Apache resources; DTDs should be accessed locally.

Andrew and I chatted about this on IRC today because I've been confused
about what kinds of operations this applies to and how to best address them.

I have actually been vaguely aware of the issue since ApacheCon Europe
when David Crossley (Forrest) mentioned that people using tools to edit
forrest XML files should not be connecting to forrest.apache.org to
resolve the DTDs.  Since my XML editor is vi (and does no XML
validation, for good or ill), I let this issue move to the background;
however, I have been vaguely aware that every time I build the Derby web
site it does in fact get the DTDs from forrest.apache.org. And after the
discussion on the infrastructure list I realize that I do need to change
this.

So, to cut to the chase ...

The Derby DITA doc builds are set up so that when you run ant to build
the docs ( see http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/dita.html for
details), ant copies the DTDs from the DITA Toolkit into src/dtd in the
Derby doc repo. The DITA files then include the appropriate DTD with a
local, relative reference ("../dtd/concept.dtd", "../dtd/reference.dtd",
or "../dtd/task.dtd")

I logged DERBY-1199 to fix the Derby web site source. Andrew and I
discussed a strategy similar to the DITA one: simply commit the forrest
DTDs to the Derby web site repo and put relative references in the XML
files. I'm also looking into a link that Crossley posted to infra
(http://forrest.apache.org/docs/catalog.html) to see if I can use an
entity resolver for the build itself (as opposed to for editing tools),
and if this can be done in a way that is super easy for other Derby web
site builders. I'm still spinning up on the technical considerations and
solutions.

 -jean